South African’s National Liberation Movement
AFRICAN NATIONAL CONGRESS REFLECTION ON SONA AND OUTLOOK ON THE SONA DEBATE AND THE PRESIDENT’S REPLY
This week’s program at the National Assembly and NCOP includes several important events. On Tuesday, February 13th at 10:00, there will be a significant debate on the President’s State of the Nation Address.
This debate offers a crucial opportunity for members to discuss and analyse the key points raised by the President regarding the state of the nation.
Following this, on Wednesday, February 14th at 14:00, the debate on the President’s address will resume, providing further insights and perspectives from different parties. On Thursday, February 15th at 14:00, the President will deliver his reply to the debate on the State of the Nation Address, offering his perspective and addressing the concerns raised during the discussions. Finally, on Friday, February 16th, there will be a joint workshop held virtually from 09:00 to 13:00.
The ANC welcomes President Cyril Ramaphosa’s State of the Nation Address as a message of renewal, economic recovery and rebuilding of our country. His steadfast leadership in confronting challenges and championing a better life for all embodies the essence of our movement. The sixth administration’s relentless pursuit of restoring institutions, dismantling corruption, and spearheading economic recovery demands unequivocal commendation. We stand undeterred in our commitment to safeguarding the hard-won gains of our democracy and propelling South Africa towards a future defined by opportunity and equality.
The address emphasized the gains of our democracy over the past 30 years by narrating the life story of Tintswalo, democracy’s child who through policies of the ANC has a good story to tell. The gains of our democracy dare not be forgotten or erased. The achievements of the past 30 years have laid a solid foundation enabling even greater strides to be taken.
We are confident that the address has given us the ANC marching orders to overcome challenges and continue steering South Africa toward prosperity. The ANC commends the sixth administration’s efforts to restore our institutions and rebuild our economy and reverse state capture:
- Freezing orders of R14bn have been granted to the NPA’s Asset Forfeiture Unit for state capture-related cases, and around R8.6bn in corrupt proceeds have been returned to the state.
- SARS has collected R4.8bn in unpaid taxes as a result of evidence presented at the commission The Special Investigating Unit has instituted civil litigation to the value of R64bn.
- End loadshedding through rooftop solar and renewable energy programme that has connected more than 2,500 MW of solar and wind power to the grid.
- The President’s commitment to sign the National Health Insurance (NHI) before the end of the six administration to allow our people to have universal health coverage
- A climate response fund to address the economic and social damage
- The state continued support our people with the R350 grant with an intention to have a basic income grant
As the ANC, we eagerly anticipate the upcoming events in Parliament, recognizing the importance of robust debates for the betterment of South Africa. Our focus remains steadfast on improving the lives of all South Africans, transcending political agendas and the distractions of an election year. We approach these discussions with a commitment to meaningful solutions driving positive change and progress for the nation as a whole.
ISSUED BY THE AFRICAN NATIONAL CONGRESS
For media inquiries, please contact:
ANC NATIONAL SPOKESPERSON
076 891 5420
Martina Della Togna
NATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
082 355 3645
Mothusi Shupinyane Ka Ndaba
MEDIA LIAISON OFFICER
084 498 0105
Take advantage of the convenient online registration process at:
https://registertovote.elections.org.za/voter-online-registration/overview or simply SMS your ID number to 32810 for registration status and voting station details.
Remember, the deadline to register or update your voter registration is before the Proclamation Day prior to the election.